Happy poem

I laid down with my baby elephant who didn't want to eat

today

all he wanted were the coconuts

together we dream 

               we go deep into the woods

looking for mama,                   I painted him yellow and blue

                       and made us both red and orange garlands

Don't eat the flowers baby love

I wear a sari like my grandmother wanted

baby elephant remember 

we  stay together in the forest

... and the hot rain are mama's tears

How do we write happy poems for

baby elephants who do not speak

Portuguese?

we keep going down the forest

drinking coconut milk and laughing

my baby elephant lays on top of me

and I call him silly and lay closer...

... he whispers

what do you want?

do you want more of me?

oh no, my baby elephant speaks English

Who would know he was an American elephant?!

Hey, my little big baby how old are you?

I'm four he says. I'm a silly four year old

baby elephant.

Not silly, you are my baby elephant

and it is when you shower me in joy

amidst the rocks and the mud

that I know we are brother and sister!

Hey, if I don't climb on your back

we will be lost in this forest!

Come. And up we rolled.

As if the world was upside down.

And We were So happy.



Comments