2. The first floor neighbor finally took her ass off the window...

The parrots keep peeking from the window. The first floor neighbor finally took her ass off the window and to the best of my knowledge everything remained as if nothing had happened. The people outside though, they lingered a little longer than usual when passing the street, or else they just made chit chat right underneath the window sill. Slowly, the lingering became shorter and shorter and nobody else remembered her beautiful ass. Frankly, people started forgetting her entirely for she wouldn't leave the house. It was the doctor that called me and asked to check on her. She wouldn't pick up her cell and he started to worry, after all, she had serious mental health breakdowns and her husband was away for long periods of time. Mental health what, I asked? Breakdowns. Sometimes she doesn't know what she's doing, sometimes she forgets everything, sometimes it's so hard on her she thinks the end of the world is near, and starts yelling and screaming GOD HELP US ALL. Oh! I see! I was her best friend and had never seen anything like he was describing at all... if it weren't for that scene she was always composed, always perfect, properly dressed, quiet in big groups yes, but the two friends talked quite a bit, almost everyday. I felt lost, grabbed my jacket and left straight to her house. On my way I grabbed strawberries, red and pulpy and juicy, she'd like them.

She stood in her long white robe smiling vaguely, looking me in the eye as I told her what the doctor had said. She laughed. If we were in the US that doctor would lose his license! But here it's different... I enjoy that he cared. How sweet of him. Maybe I should send him a postcard. Its okay darling, you can do that if you want. But is he right?

I could see the burning marks in her back, the satin dress pending off her shoulders...one day those marks had just appeared, out of nothing. She woke up screaming and for three days the burning developed on its own, as if the fire inside had spread to the outer body.


Comments